[jifty-devel] IE rendering problem for empty HTML elements

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat Dec 2 23:14:08 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 07:45:25PM +0800, Agent Zhang wrote:
> Hi, there~
>
> Over the past week I was wondering why my Jifty app's pages which were
> displayed fine in Firefox had some weird bland regions around the
> input fields while loaded by IE 6.
>
> And I've also noticed that Wifty had the same problem in IE. (Please
> look at the search bar in the upper-right corner of the jifty home
> page in IE.)
>
> Experiments have shown that IE *does* assign page room to many HTML
> elements which have no content at all. For example, the following HTML
> elements

Yep. We've run into that as well.

> methods generate "cleverer" HTML code. I've thought about suppressing
> the empty element outputs completely while no content is found. But
> the Jifty documentation has claimed that "even if there are none --
> AJAX could fill it in". Oh well...

Yeah. That turns out to hurt us pretty badly.

> How about adding C<style="display: none;"> to the tags which are
> actually empty? I'm not sure.

I think we'd probably want to add a class of "hidden" or somesuch,
rather than an explicit styling. But what I'd really like is for hlb and
trs to weigh in here, since both of them know more about the issues
involved than I do.