[jifty-devel] Jifty now supports Localization (Was Re: jifty l10n and stuff)

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 03:16:39 EDT 2006

that's great Jesse, thanks.

I'm still very much on the learning curve with how to build a jifty app, and
the first thing I need to do is pick up some mason I guess. But as soon as I
get a chance I'll start taking a look at how engoi might fit into this
framework. When I do, I'll probably have lots of feedback for you ...!

thanks a gain

On 4/2/06, Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> > I just went through the tutorial without too much pain - all well and
> good,
> > though there there is some stuff that's not that clear. I know that
> jifty is
> > still a fairly young creature, so there are bound to be some rough
> edges,
> > but I like the way you have tried to keep it lean and mean as possible.
> The
> > db schema generation looks good.
>
> Cool.
>
> > I wasn't too sure what the admin mode was about - it's basically a crud
> > interface on the db?
>
> Exactly.
>
> With regard to internationalization, we've just committed the first pass
> at an internationalization framework. I _know_ we've missed things, but
> we've sucessfully gotten an app running with a couple words of
> translated japanese.
>
> The 30 second tutorial:
>
> Strings that should be localized should be wrapped like this:
>
> my $foo = "This is a test";
>
> should become
>
> my $foo = _("This is a test");
>
> In a mason template,
>
> <h1>My name is <%$foo%></h1>
>
>         should become
>
> <h1><%_("My name is [_1]", $foo)%></h1>
>

> To extract and update message catalogs for your app:
>
> # jifty po
>
> To create a message catalog for a new language and fill it
> in with blanks:
>
> # jifty po --language ja
>
> Where "ja" is the langauge code for the language you want.
>
> We're eager to hear about bugs and how things are broken.  Particularly,
> I'm betting that Jifty is going to cache the first browser's langauge
> preference and stick with it. It's all very fixable, but the I18N
> support landed yesterday ;)
>
> Best,
>
> Jesse

Daniel McBrearty