[jifty-devel] Can I use Halos with Jifty::View::Declare templates?

William Schaub wschaub at steubentech.com
Tue Dec 7 19:06:57 EST 2010

William Schaub wrote:
> I've been playing with Jifty a bit and I wanted to use the Halos on
> the tutorial app so that I can play with them a bit.
>
> The problem is that following the directions in
> Jifty::Manual::Tutorial you do not get the show halos and page info
> links at the bottom of the page. they show up on the admin page but
> not in any app (including the demo apps in the examples directory)
> that uses a View class to define the templates instead of mason. is
> there a way to get those halo links added with a Jifty::View::Declare
> template? It looks like the Halo plugin is still putting code in to
> support halos but nothing is drawing the links needed to make them
> show up and I don't have a clue about what I need to put in my View
> class to make that happen.
>

> I'm also wondering if i can have someone modify the look of my
> templates without modifying the code in the View class. do I have to
> stick with mason for that kind of thing? I only ask because I flat out
> suck at making web pages and want to use jifty
> to define how everything works and let someone else make it look pretty.
So I've been scouring the mailing list archives and I ran across this
post which seems to work if I add it to my view class but I'm not sure
that this is the correct way to do things. Has someone done a good
tutorial on the Template::Declare stuff and how you would make it work
with mason templates?

from http://lists.jifty.org/pipermail/jifty-devel/2007-August/001635.html

I used __PACKAGE__->use_mason_wrapper(); inside each template
declaration in the View class.

This gives me the links for activating the halo stuff and seems to work.
I would really like to understand how the different template systems tie
together and the best way to use them in a way that allows me to work
with someone else thats focused on the look of the site.

I saw in some of the presentations people have done on Jifty that the
halos could show which SQL statements were run but
I'm not seeing that behavior on my end.