[jifty-devel] Your module - Jifty::Plugin::Authentication::Facebook::Action::LinkFacebookUser

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Mon Apr 26 14:16:19 EDT 2010

Hi all,

On 26 Apr 2010 06:53, Yves Agostini wrote:
> I was not the main author of this module, I just made the package.
> The first author was certainly Alex Vandiver. I will forward this
> response to jifty-devel list.
>
> I made some tests with this plugin and I think that LinkFacebookUser was
> usable with the old facebook API. Maybe Alex can confirm ?
> Now I don't find how to use /facebook/callback_link with "facebook
> connect".

I actually wrote this plugin, but the functionality hasn't been updated
since 2007.  Both Yves and Alex's changes appear to be only to the repo
location, Debian package, and other logistics.  The plugin WAS working
until recently, when Facebook changed their login API.

> I don't think there's a standard way to "link your friend list".
> It could certainly be made with FQL.

Kevin: I think you're confused about the purpose of the plugin.  It is
meant to enable logging into Jifty applications as a Facebook user.  The
LinkFacebookUser action links a Facebook user with an already existing
Jifty user so that they may login to the Jifty app using Facebook.  It
has nothing to do with your Facebook friend list.  You'll probably want
to investigate the WWW::Facebook::API module on CPAN.

> However, I recently found a bug with facebook connect : new facebook
> keys are over 13 characters so we can no more use integer type for
> facebook_uid column. The workaround is to alter table to use bigint.

Good catch, the schema definition for the plugin should be updated
whenever the module gets updated for the new authentication scheme.
Filing a bug or two on rt.cpan.org would be nice.  :)

Cheers,
Thomas