[jifty-devel] Now available, a shipwright build of Jifty.

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Feb 15 11:52:48 EST 2008

On Feb 15, 2008, at 3:54 AM, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:

> looks interesting. How do you handle different OS'es default paths?
> For example, blastwave.org, a packaging system for Solaris, installs
> everything inside /opt/csw.
>
> I'll try someday to use Shipwright together with Torrus
> (torrus.org): in order to utilize
> multithreading, one has to upgrade the "threads" and
> "threads::shared" packages, because the ones
> that come with Perl contain several severe bugs. Then it's a pain if
> you want to package Torrus
> for any OS: packaging systems refuse to manage files belonging to
> Perl main package.

By default, shipwright vessels (what I've just decided to call the
packages we build) are watertight. they install into their own fully
relocatable directory structure. so they don't interact with your OS
packages at all. Any perl libraries (or c libraries or binaries)
packaged in a vessel override system versions when you're running a
binary from a vessel or have sourced the relevant shell script.

> By the way, did anyone try using Jifty in Perl multithreaded
> environment?

Can you be more specific here? my perl is threaded, but, for example,
our dbi handle doesn't go to any length to be threadsafe.