[jifty-devel] weird shebang in jifty

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue May 22 16:37:53 EDT 2007

On May 20, 2007, at 1:05 AM, Andreas J. Koenig wrote:

>> On May 19, 2007, at 3:43 AM, Andreas J. Koenig wrote:
>
>>> % head -3 /usr/local/perl-m-5.8.0 at 31162/bin/jifty
>>> #!/usr/bin/env perl
>>> use warnings;
>>> use strict;
>>>

>>> I'm surprised why jifty has this shebang line that calls the wrong
>>> perl for people who have more than one perl around.
>>>
>>> Is this intentional or an accident?
>>>

>> That's a fairly standard idiom for "use the first perl in my path."
>> This is particularly important to those of us who have multiple perls
>> installed locally, like say, on OSX.
>

>> I'm open to better ideas, htough.
>
> I don't understand what the problem is. If you're using the standard
> shebang line and use the first jifty in your path, everything does
> work out right, no? Does OSX have a special bug I don't know about?

Jifty applications are often run directly from their working
directory rather than installed as cpan modules.
Very often, it's the jifty within a given package's distribution
that's being run. What's most likely to change is
where the valid Perl is, not where the valid bin/jifty is.

Neither behavior seems ideal, but would this compromise make sense:

The bin/jifty installed systemwide for a perl should have a shebang
line that points to the perl it was installed against.
An installed jifty application should have a shebang line that points
to the perl it was installed against
The bin/jifty inside an uninstalled jifty application should use the
env idiom to get the developer's current perl?

-j