[jifty-devel] Moniker name restrictions

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat Jul 28 19:15:53 EDT 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 1:21 AM, Mikko Lipasti wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I was surprised to find my template/action silently fail when using
> monikers with a dash, e.g. "01-something". Replacing the dash with
> an underscore fixed the problem.
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~jesse/Jifty-0.70422/lib/Jifty/Manual/
> Glossary.pod#moniker:
> "A moniker is an arbitrary-length nonempty string containing no
> semicolons."
> This should be updated to forbid dashes.
>
> Moreover, Jifty->web->new_action should warn (or die even) if
> moniker name contains forbidden characters. Currently, there's no
> warning, the action(s) just don't run.

I've updated the action. Now Jifty will warn you when you use a dash
or semicolon in an action and also will correct it to an _.
The glossary better tells you what not to do.

The issue you're actually running into with 0-  is something else.
Actions can optionally take a run-order. When composing the action
name in the webform, that's prepended to the moniker as 123456-.  So
I think I'll update the moniker code to look for a non-numperic
character first and scream if you don't do that. Does that seem
reasonable?

Thanks!