[jifty-devel] tutorial talks of overriding default _elements/nav

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Jul 5 21:49:42 EDT 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Matthew Lenz wrote:

> but if you take a look at the _elements/nav it says:
>
> %# Navigation frobbing now handled in Dispatcher plugins
> %# This exists for backwards compatibility
>
> Is there an example of using the dispatcher to draw the nav?

_elements/nav wasn't so much to draw nav as to set up Jifty->web-
 >navigation

> Which brings up another question on which I was hoping I could get
> some
> clarification.  I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding the
> implementation of authorization throughout an application.  Am I
> correct
> in that most authorization could feasibly be placed into the
> dispatcher?

Have a look at Jifty::Plugin::Authentication::Password

> or should it be placed into templates and action code?

As a general rule,

"if code can be placed in a model, put it there. failing that, if it
can go in an action, put it there. failing that, if it can go in the
dispatcher, put it there. failing that, it goes in the template, i
guess"

> Is there any documentation on all the various uses of the dispatcher

Well, it's a place to hang code that's called when users hit specific
urls.

> Sorry for all the questions but I'm still struggling through my first
> app with jifty.  I'm evaluating it as a possible replacement for a
> proprietary "framework" we use at the office.  I'm implementing a
> personal side project I've been wanting to write for a few years.

Very cool to hear it.