[jifty-devel] RE: [Jifty-commit] r2859 - in Jifty-DBI/trunk:lib/Jifty/DBI

Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp andrew.hanenkamp at boomer.com
Wed Feb 28 18:21:05 EST 2007

Well, I think the simple solution would be to add a new API function
called during schema init that could hold the warning. However, I think
a better solution is to expand the type system to make the warning
unnecessary.

Edgar Whipple's "user-defined data types" suggestion posted to the list
recently looks like a good start in this direction. I could see the
built-in types providing structure to this problem so that it's harder
to make the mistake, while providing flexibility to easily customize the
types if you really want to.  Then you provide a Storable type built-in
that bundles "blob" with the Storable filter.

Then these object types become the basic solutions and examples in the
tutorial and such. Type customization and filters become an advanced
topic. If you go off and customize the Storable type to use "text"
without making the other requisite changes or use the Storable filter on
your own, it's your own fault when it blows up.

--
Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp
Interaction Developer

1.785.537.2358 ext. 17