[jifty-devel] Re: Data partitioning (ie multiple databases)

Robert Barta rho at bond.edu.au
Fri Apr 20 02:10:27 EDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:34:32PM +0200, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> Robert Barta wrote:
> >The Jifty, RoR, ... class of web dev frameworks are all assuming that
> >underneath they are dealing with data in a relational model.
> >
> >I here am developing a data integration framework based on Topic Maps
> >(TM), one of the SW technologies.
> >What I would like to see at some stage is a TM::Jifty where a we
> >application is resolving backend queries against such a TM engine.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:34:32PM +0200, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> Did anything ever come of your Topic Map engine?

You mean in terms of ideas, discussion?

No, but much of the Jifty framework (autocreation of classes, web
mechanics, ...) is fairly (well) independent from the paradigm of the
backend. I can also generate my objects, say a 'customer instance',
from a TM backend. Of course, the schema description for TM data is
different from an RDB schema (more ontological), but well, so what.

So, while we are here struggling to get more mature technology out, we
are certainly thinking into a Jifty direction to allow people to
quickly develop applications using TM stores. I just need to get time
to get more familiar with Jifty to see where to cut in.

\rho