[jifty-devel] Strange result with column named "log"!

Frederic BLANC jifty-ml at blaf.org
Sat Sep 2 19:27:27 EDT 2006

 Hello,

 I found what I think to be namespace conflict between the Jifty::Object
log method and columns of the same name:

 I was building a quick app to be the frontend of an existing database
with one of its columns named "log", a legitimate name (IMO) for a column
designed to keep... log messages.
 But after I started the server and connected to the Administration
interface to check that I can access all the data, what was my surprise
to find the ref of a Log::Log4perl object instead of the expected
log message!

 After digging into Jifty's code, I found that this behaviour came from
the existence of the log method of the Object class, mother of
(almost every Jifty classes including) the Jifty::Record class.

 If I well understood the usage of the log method, it is supposed to be
a class method of the Jifty class, so maybe the method definition should
be moved to the Jifty.pm module?

 Best regards,
 Frederic BLANC

PS: by the way, the Jifty module has a logger method that seems
    to be used nowhere.