[jifty-devel] schema builder for pre-existing database?

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 13:32:40 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm really new to this project so please forgive me if
my questions are so basic, just I can't find any
guidence in the current docs.

I'd like to give this framework a try, since from the
documentation and the nice presentations of it seems
like it really matches well with the way I think about
web development.  However for this project I already
have an extensive developed database and I was
wondering if there was a tool around for building up
your database schemas from existing ddl files or from
the existing database files.  It would save me a lot
of time, rather then rewritten it.  I didn't see
anything in the SQL translator family of modules for
this.

Also another question I have is about setting your
base templates for a view.  In template toolkit you
can configure a base wrapper for the template, which I
find useful since my current web project has three
basic xhtml templates that a page could be rendered
as.  I can't see the best practice way to do this in
Jifty.

Sorry, one more question.  Should I try installing
Jifty from the SVN or CPAN, since it seems like there
is a lot of development since the last release.  I
don't mind working with beta code, since this
application is not immediately due, I have some time
to shake things down and hopefully commit some tests
to you.

Thank you for your time.

--john napiorkowski