[jifty-devel] Web wizards

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Mon Oct 9 09:43:32 EDT 2006

A common pattern in web applications is emulating a native UI wizard.
Typically, this means populating one model over a series of web pages,
with "Next" and "Previous" navigation options, validation happening
before leaving each page, and some action on the assembled data taking
place only on the final page.

How would you go about implementing such an application in Jifty? I hear
that there's no out-of-the-box support for this yet, so my purpose is
twofold.

* I have a $work project that needs such a wizard quickly, and I'd love
  to do this with Jifty. The good news is that I have no interdependencies
  between pages, and the sequence is completely linear with a simple
  model. For this I don't mind having to do some of the controller work
  in my application, and I can live with validation only happening at the
  end -- but I need this fast. Any hints about hacking something up? One
  suggestion was to specify tangents for both next and prev pages, but it
  turns out this attempts to run the action before the user confirms it.

* I'm also interested in discussing how a more general solution might
  look like (and offer my help implementing it). Some declarative syntax
  would be great, on the surface level. What other aspects are relevant,
  apart from those I mentioned above? Has anyone (esp. with more Jifty
  familiarity than me) given this any thought?

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/