[jifty-devel] Why Jifty::DBI and not f.e. Alzabo

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon May 29 18:44:58 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 08:42:47AM +0200, Rainer.Rohmfeld at emuge.de wrote:
> Just a short question!
>
> What is the reason, that Jifty is developed with Jifty::DBI and not a more
> sphisticated tool like Alzabo (Dave Rolsky).

Jifty::DBI is the evolution of DBIx::SearchBuilder, a database
abstraction layer for perl that we first built in about 1999 for RT 2.0.
It's something we've found to be fast, flexible, stable and robust.

Dave Rolsky and I have occasionally chatted about Alzabo. It's not quite
a match for what I'm looking for for Jifty. DBIx::Class, on the other
hand, looks like it might get to that place within the next year, which
excites me an awful lot.  I'd be curious to know what performance
benchmarks you've done with Alzabo and Jifty::DBI. I'd love to see the
comparison scripts. Though really, if they don't speak SQLite, a
database abstraction layer is pretty much a nonstarter for me.

Best,
Jesse