[jifty-devel] state_variables handling in Jifty::Web

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Mon May 15 13:32:04 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 13:15 -0400, Sean E. Millichamp wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback.  At one point I actually had looked at adding
> support for add the Jifty::Web stored state variables into the request
> created in redirect instead of the approach.  It looked to me like they
> were already added in the tangent call, but I was fairly certain I
> wanted to use redirect instead of tangent.  I will work on a patch that
> does this instead of what I committed previously.

*nod*  What's possibly confusing is that redirects attempt to preserve
all of the state of the request -- which can include things stored in
the response, and thus are hard to serialize into the URL.  Jifty's
solution is to create a continuation of where the application wants to
be, but with all of the state from the current request and response, and
then call it.  This ensures that we keep any complex state that we may
have, and end up at the new URL.

> Yes, "notes from the last request" sums up what I was trying to do.  I
> just wanted to pass from one page to another page to implement a simple
> two-step action.

I was doing some work (before Jifty's first release, so quite a while
ago at this point) on storing partial actions in continuations, to make
constructing multi-page actions and wizards and the like easier.  The
code is still in place, but has no tests and hasn't been played with in
quite some time, but I'll see if I can dig out an example or test file
in my Copious Spare Time.
 - Alex