[jifty-devel] state_variables handling in Jifty::Web

Sean E. Millichamp sean at enertronllc.com
Mon May 15 13:15:19 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 12:29 -0400, Alex Vandiver wrote:

> I think it's actually wrong.  The reason that there were two different
> places for state variables is that the request stores incoming state
> variables, and Jifty::Web stores state variables for the *next* request.
> We keep them separate to force them to be explicitly set for each
> request -- otherwise they can never get unset.  The correct fix is to
> inspect both of them when redirecting or tangent'ing (line 500-ish).

Alex,

Thanks for your feedback.  At one point I actually had looked at adding
support for add the Jifty::Web stored state variables into the request
created in redirect instead of the approach.  It looked to me like they
were already added in the tangent call, but I was fairly certain I
wanted to use redirect instead of tangent.  I will work on a patch that
does this instead of what I committed previously.

>   What do people want to use them for?  My mental model for them is
> "notes from the last request" which is nice because they work the Right
> Way with continuations.  But that's more of a mental model than a
> practical use model.

Yes, "notes from the last request" sums up what I was trying to do.  I
just wanted to pass from one page to another page to implement a simple
two-step action.

Sean

--
 Sean E. Millichamp, Enertron LLC, 586-757-1200 x102