[jifty-devel] state_variables handling in Jifty::Web

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Mon May 15 12:29:51 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 08:23 -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> It looks basically sane to me. Alex has deeper knowledge of that code.
> Alex: how's it look?

I think it's actually wrong.  The reason that there were two different
places for state variables is that the request stores incoming state
variables, and Jifty::Web stores state variables for the *next* request.
We keep them separate to force them to be explicitly set for each
request -- otherwise they can never get unset.  The correct fix is to
inspect both of them when redirecting or tangent'ing (line 500-ish).
  State variables were used by the fore-runners of page regions, and so
may need a bit of TLC to make sense.  Right now they're used by page
regions for downlevel browser support, but that could be decoupled
fairly easily.
  What do people want to use them for?  My mental model for them is
"notes from the last request" which is nice because they work the Right
Way with continuations.  But that's more of a mental model than a
practical use model.
 - Alex