[jifty-devel] RFC: Login/Logout functionality

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon May 1 15:24:33 EDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:35:26AM -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> If the templates aren't included, there should at least be a
>
> 	jifty action --name Login
>
> that would generate stubs, else the user is going to have to replicate
> that functionality (DRY).

The more I think about it, the more this feels like it should be a
plugin. (Of course, it feels like a plugin that should be installed by
default).

> >  Adding things to the application's dispatcher is the crux of the
> >difficulty in writing the plugin framework, yes.  Jesse and Audrey sat
> >down and hammered out a basic plan (I *think* that's what
> >doc/plugin-requirements is, but it looks incomplete), but we've yet to
> >get around to implementing it.
>
> Didn't notice that; I'll read it and comment later.

Great. a sanity check would be useful.

> >  I'm a little unclear why you think the ClassLoader would need to be
> >changed, though.
>
> Because the login classes (at least as written for Wifty) need to refer
> to the application's own user class, plus the core Login.pm need to be
> overridden for those cases where it's too simplistic (say my Client
> Certificate variant, or the 'piece of skin from the nape of the neck'
> hardware authentication that TopSecret sites might use).

This seems like something we should be adding to the classloader in a
nice, generic way. IE, allow any plugin to use it to to the inheritance
intermediation. Does that seem sane?