[jifty-devel] Jifty on Windows, package YAML is not in dependency of Jifty

Shane Landrum srl at bestpractical.com
Mon Jul 24 10:52:28 EDT 2006

Richard Lippmann wrote:
> I found Activestate presenting a package for jifty on Windows.
> Installation "ppm install jifty" went fine and then I tried this:
>
> C:\temp\x>jifty app --name Customer
> Can't guess application root from current path (C:/temp/x) or bin path
> (C:/Perl/bin)
>
> Creating new application Customer
> Creating directory lib
> Creating configuration file Customer/etc/config.yml
> Undefined subroutine &Jifty::YAML::DumpFile called at
> C:/Perl/site/lib/Jifty/Script/App.pm line 152.
>
> But there is no directory C:\Perl\site\lib\Jifty\YAML\ and certainly no
> files in it.
>

> Solution was: install Activestate package YAML with "ppm install YAML".
> There seems to be no dependency on that package.

Jifty's Makefile.PL prefers to use YAML::Syck if there's a C compiler
available, and if there's not it falls back to depending on YAML:

--------
if (can_cc()) {
     # Always require the Syck bindings if a C compiler is available
     requires('YAML::Syck' => 0.45);
     requires('JSON::Syck' => 0.14);
}
else {
     requires('YAML' => 0.35) unless can_use('YAML::Syck' => 0.45);
     requires('JSON' => 0.01) unless can_use('JSON::Syck' => 0.14);
}
-------

If Activestate's Jifty doesn't contain this code, I suspect they need to
update their packages. But it's weird that you weren't seeing
Jifty::YAML, since that's a standard part of Jifty. Huh.

srl