[jifty-devel] RFC: Login/Logout functionality

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Wed Apr 26 22:02:48 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 11:02 -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> I finally had the time to extract (and update) the login/logout
> functionality from Wifty and add it to my Jifty app.  Before I try and
> make this completely generic, do people think that this functionality
> should be part of the core Jifty distro, or do I have to think about how
> to extend the core (via the as-yet-unwritten plugin framework)?
  Jesse and I have been pondering the best way to do this -- I think
we're all pretty convinced that it should be part of the core, but as an
optional plugin.  Not everyone wants login mechanisms, but they're
common enough that there should be a complete answer included with Jifty
(see also: "full stack").

> For discussion purposes, adding login/logout functionality to the core
> would require adding the following files:
> [snip]
Looks mostly sane.  I would almost argue that the templates aren't
needed, however.

> The login/logout functionality also needs to extend Jifty::Dispatcher as
> well as the code in Jifty::ClassLoader to autogenerate the classes in
> the application space.
  Adding things to the application's dispatcher is the crux of the
difficulty in writing the plugin framework, yes.  Jesse and Audrey sat
down and hammered out a basic plan (I *think* that's what
doc/plugin-requirements is, but it looks incomplete), but we've yet to
get around to implementing it.
  I'm a little unclear why you think the ClassLoader would need to be
changed, though.
 - Alex