[jifty-devel] Greetings and salutations

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sun Apr 2 00:25:14 EST 2006

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 09:49:19PM -0500, John Peacock wrote:
> Hello Jiftyites -
>
> I've been absently poking at Catalyst for some time now and it just doesn't
> "speak" to me.  I'm hoping that Jifty fits my style more closely...

Cool. I hope so to. If it doesn't end up doing so, I'd love to hear why.

> I have a [horrible spagetti-code] application in PHP (InfoCentral) that I
> adapted for our synagogue and have determined that I am going to rewrite in
> something maintainable and extendable.  To give you some ideas of the
> functionality that I am looking for:

Ok.  That sounds fun and ambitious. We're working on a sane plugin
framework now, so we can extract things like our signup, login and lost
password framework from our non-public app for you ;)

> To include at least some useful content to this message, I have an already
> existing schema (based loosely on the InfoCentral scheme), but [at first glance]
> I don't see any way to reverse engineer the schema down to the model files that
> Jifty expects.  Is there one and I'm just missing it, or shall I write one?

We don't have a schema reverse engineering tool just yet, but I'd love
to see one happen.

You'll get pretty far creating a new ::Model::$tablename_singular
and sticking

column $colname =>
	type $type;

for each column in the schema, but I'd love to see a growing, extensible
tool to do this for arbitrary schemas.

Jesse