[jifty-devel] Greetings and salutations

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Sat Apr 1 21:49:19 EST 2006

Hello Jiftyites -

I've been absently poking at Catalyst for some time now and it just doesn't
"speak" to me.  I'm hoping that Jifty fits my style more closely...

I have a [horrible spagetti-code] application in PHP (InfoCentral) that I
adapted for our synagogue and have determined that I am going to rewrite in
something maintainable and extendable.  To give you some ideas of the
functionality that I am looking for:

* membership database, linking families together (including divorces and
non-member spouses, including self-edit of own and other related family records);

* multiple classes of users (admin, calendar admin, etc);

* calendar and scheduling (we have a volunteer-led luncheon every Saturday
morning that is a membership requirement);

* must be password protected and have easy to recover lost passwords (or
possibly self-signed browser [client] certificates);

* reporting capabilities (to track which luncheons have no "captains");

* recipe database (this is new functionality);

I hope I'm not biting off too much more than I can chew... ;-)

To include at least some useful content to this message, I have an already
existing schema (based loosely on the InfoCentral scheme), but [at first glance]
I don't see any way to reverse engineer the schema down to the model files that
Jifty expects.  Is there one and I'm just missing it, or shall I write one?

TIA

John

--
John Peacock