[jifty-devel] integrating/growing jifty apps into bigger ones

pp at kpk.gov.pl pp at kpk.gov.pl
Sat Jan 19 20:59:10 EST 2008

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:40:42AM -0800, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:
> > I think it makes sense to introduce a new config.yml option to specify
> > the root URL, and re-work all the templates to refer to it. Then we can easily
> > integrate the applications into existing virtual servers, without the need to
> > create a separate server for each application.

Hi

continuing on integrating jifty.
does somebody has some experience how to integrate jifty
app with other existing applications, as it takes too much
time to rewrite all of our stuff to jifty in a blink of an eye,
and we'dlike to start using jifty and in our new apps,
but that needs at least reading data from existing
databases/tables and making references to thise data
in new jifty recodrs, dropdowns etc. later we could move, everything
piece by piece to jifty. any thoughts?

and also i'm looking for some advice how to organize the development
process.

probably we will need to develop several small applications
where bussines logic within an applicationa is quite clear,
but mutual connections and cooperations between them are not,
and we're not sure wheather it will be one big application,
or two or three  stil big - but smaller ones and not connectet with
each other. so there will be some level of integration, but cannot be
foreseen now. and now were in deep need of creating and running those
small apps ASAP.

should it be ok to use the same appname for all of those small
applications, and later, when they are up and running trying
to join them into one  big app, moving all files to one jifty app-tree?

i just do not know how flexible jifty is, and wheather it's
easy to buid application which could read data from other
databases and write data just to its own jifty database.

and because i do not know the flexibility of ACLs in jifty
(still reading and building testing apps), it might be
easier to create separate applications for separate tasks,
and later, beeng a jifty expert join all of them into big one.

jifty is a tempting solution for me as it's perl and mason
which i use for years, but giving the speed of building an
CRUD app also requires from me to agree to it's rules,
which first need to be learnt, which is not the easiest task
;)

any thoughts , and please forgive my english :)

--
regards
piotr pogorzelski