[jifty-devel] Server pushed region updates (was Re: Manipulating page regions from actions)

Sterling Hanenkamp sterling at hanenkamp.com
Mon Aug 25 10:02:01 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com>wrote:

> Sterling,
>
> My cranky-architect comments are that the name "metadata" isn't really
> very evocative and that without docs or tests, the patch isn't likely
> to be used by many people and is likely to get  broken the first time
> someone tries to clean up one of these codepaths.

Agreed. Which is why I essentially said not to use the patch in the
comments. It's more a proof of concept than a useful hunk of code at this
point. However, if there was a mechanism for injecting some information into
the returned response that could be reacted to, I think that would be swell.
Currently, I'd have to implement such a thing on my own.

I'm going to see if I can come up with something that's more flexible and
less likely to bring out the cranky-architect. After looking through
jifty.js in detail, it looks like Jifty.update() and related functions
really ought to be refactored as a Jifty.Update class (probably with a
better name than that) with parts that could be used separately and would be
more extensible. I could see Ajax and PubSub being extensions of some base
with the potential of the application further extending them and then
setting:

framework:
  javascript:
    ajax_update_class: MyApp.AjaxUpdate
    pubsub_update_class: MyApp.PubSubUpdate

to make all the event handler code use a custom class instead. Just thinking
out loud...

Cheers,
Sterling