[jifty-devel] Strawberry perl and Jifty Install Problems

Randall Marbach remarbach at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 02:09:26 EDT 2008

Hi All

I thought it might be helpful to chronicle my attempt to get Jifty installed
under strawberry perl.
Strawberry perl  http://strawberryperl.com/ is a windows distribution
similar to activestate's activeperl but also includes a c compiler, make
tools and a cpan client.

I am attempting to install version 5.10.0.1 into a XP client OS running in
Vmware v6 VM hosted on a XP host OS system.

I started with a clean slate and installed Strawberry perl from scratch.
Strawberry perl is a remarkably clean and quick install.

Next I fired up the CPAN client and at the cpan prompt enterd..>install
Jifty
I accepted all the default prompts...  I did not install any optional models
where the default prompt was "n".

The cpan client began its work and the install process seemed to proceed
normally until it tried to install HTML::Server::Simple.

At this point the installation process just hung on the second group of
tests at the indicator  .... live 2/16.

Just to see what would happen.   I performed a 'clean'   and a notest
install HTML::Server::Simple which seemed to go OK.

I then reran  ' install Jifty' again accepting all default prompts and it
seemed to run to completion, but unsuccessfully.

Here are the last few lines of output.......

Files=99, Tests=378, 66 wallclock secs ( 0.05 usr +  1.14 sys =  1.19 CPU)
Result: FAIL
Failed 93/99 test programs. 3/378 subtests failed.
dmake.EXE:  Error code 130, while making 'test_dynamic'
  SARTAK/Jifty-0.80408.tar.gz
  C:\strawberry\c\bin\dmake.EXE test -- NOT OK
//hint// to see the cpan-testers results for installing this module, try:
  reports SARTAK/Jifty-0.80408.tar.gz
Running make install
  make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
Failed during this command:
 AUDREYT/YAML-Syck-1.05.tar.gz                : make NO
 GLASSER/HTTP-Server-Simple-Recorder-0.02.tar.gz: make_test NO
 SARTAK/Jifty-DBI-0.49.tar.gz                 : make_test NO one dependency
not OK (YAML::Syck)
 SARTAK/Jifty-0.80408.tar.gz                  : make_test NO

cpan>

What do you think the problem may be and what do you recommend my next steps
be?

TIA

Randy from Burbank