[jifty-devel] Jifty and Strawberry Perl

Shawn M Moore sartak at bestpractical.com
Tue Aug 12 00:20:29 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 04:35:05PM -0700, Randall Marbach wrote:
> Hello....

Hi Randy,

> I am a noob to Jifty, but based on the preliminary review of the docs and my
> positive experience with Hiveminder,
> I would like to give it a shot for some projects I am evaluating at work. I
> like the stated design philosophies especially about having all the database
> and templating systems included.  I read the Mason book and Mason seems cool
> too.

Excellent. Welcome aboard!

> A couple of questions before I get started.   Will Jifty run under
> strawberry perl  running in a VMware XP environment?

I don't any datapoints for that. We do try to make Jifty
platform-agnostic as much as we can.

Try it out and let us know! If you run into any problems, please send
them to the list.

> Will Jifty run under 5.10.0?

I personally still use 5.8.8, because I'm weak and if I get a chance to
play with the new toys I'll use them everywhere, much to my boss'
dismay.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that yes, it does run under 5.10.

> I am planning a fresh install of strawberry perl and Jifty will be the first
> set of modules to be included via the use of the included CPAN client.

Cool.

> I plan to use sqlite as the database.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Postgres and MySQL are ornery enough on
UNIX.

> Is there SOAP suppport availble for Jifty?

No. We do have a REST interface though!

I could assist you in writing a SOAP plugin if you wish. :)

> TIA
>
> Randy from Burbank

Shawn