[jifty-devel] Questions on style, janitorial practice

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Sat Mar 3 13:23:05 EST 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 1:08 PM, Jesse Vincent wrote:

>> 7. The following changes are semantically neutral, and make code more
>> readable for some coders, especially the less experienced ones. Are
>> there any objections if I undertake these in janitorial?
>>
>> -- changing all other regex delimiters to /.../ or m{...}
>
> Often there's a reason for the choice. It may not always be obvious.

I agree that a wholesale change isn't necessary.  I sometimes do
s|...|....| because old habits die hard.  However, things like
s!...!...! are just evil, weird and evil and should definitely be
changed (I've come across a few instances of ! and keep meaning to
fix them)

>> -- refactoring 'unless' to equivalent 'if'
>
> No, please. "You won't be able to pry my 'unless' from my fingers
> unless I'm dead"

/me too clings tightly to unless

-kevin