[jifty-devel] I'm designing a DSL for jifty's web testing...

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Jan 17 14:16:18 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 08:09:53AM +0000, Edmund von der Burg wrote:
> Using Test::WWW::Mechanize you can do:
>
>  $mech->content_like( $regex [, $desc ] );
>
> which I find very elegant, especially as it easily lets you play with
> two mechs at once which can be good for checking interactions between
> two users on one site.

Have a look at the notes in the doc directory for some of the use cases
nelson and I have been putting together.

> What are the more involved cases that are making you think of creating
> a DSL rather than trying to extend Test::WWW::Mech?

The DSL is likely to be a sugar and abstraction layer around mech and
selenium.  Having written a fair number of mech tests in my day, I feel
like the syntax leaves something to be desired. It's just not very
readable when everything is said and done. Nor is it writable
enough...as evidenced by the fact that I constantly cringe away from
writing mech tests. ;)

Don't get me wrong. The functionality mech provides is absolutely
lovely and we couldn't (and won't) get by without it.

Best,
Jesse