[jifty-devel] validator and filter order

John Green john at giggled.org
Fri Jan 5 15:51:05 EST 2007

On 5 Jan 2007, at 19:21, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> That's intentional. (Though I don't know why create is failing)
> Canonicalizers put data in its preferred form. Validators make sure
> that
> what goes into the database is sane. You don't want to validate and
> then
> canonicalize...it might mess up your database.  Does that make sense?

If was the different behaviour of Create which was confusing me
originally.

In Update's current design it is validating, filtering and then
validating again (using the same validator).  The first validation
runs during input using AJAX, which is rather nifty and the feature I
want.  If the second validation runs to protect the database is there
is recommended way of determining where in the chain it is being
called (so I can validate against RE{net}{IPv4} or /d+ resp.).

Thanks.

John