[jifty-devel] load_by_cols and access control

Henry Baragar Henry.Baragar at instantiated.ca
Tue Feb 27 13:10:04 EST 2007

On Tuesday, February 27 2007 11:08 am, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:47:17AM -0500, Henry Baragar wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 27 2007 09:53 am, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> > > On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 09:51:19AM -0500, Henry Baragar wrote:
[stuff deleted]

> At the same time, are you up for helping to update the documentation so
> that nobody else gets bitten by the same issue?

I am considering helping out in this way.  Let me get my project to a better
state before starting to look for contributions from me.

> Note also that Jifty::Collection objects load the records and uses the same
> methods for accessor access control.
>
> > Otherwise, because of my mistaken assumptions and the code we have
> > developed based on those assumptions, our application behaves
> > unpredictably in corner situations.  At worst, this could open a avenue
> > for attack: at best, it could affect my reputation because my application
> > appears to be flaky.
>
> I'd certainly like to work to help resolve this issue for you, though
> I'm not sure that the current behaviour could be changed without losing
> the "standard" way to do things.

Thank you for your offer.  At this point, I think that the best way is for you
to continue as you have supporting the community on this mailing list.

I guess the big question is "What is the standard way of doing things?".  I
think many of the Jifty standards ways I have only found through trial and
error.  Once I have found them, I have come to appreciate the approach and
try my best to leverage their power.

Has anyone considered writing a book?

Regards,
Henry