[jifty-devel] Using Authentication::Password and Template::Declare

Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp sterling at hanenkamp.com
Tue Aug 7 20:49:29 EDT 2007

EdF,

I think we need to clean up some of the remarks regarding the usability of
the Template::Declare stuff. It does not have the maturity of Mason, but I
wouldn't say there are bugs crawling all over anymore. (At least not the
latest repository version, I'm not sure what state the latest CPAN release
is in.) I'd say it's certainly suitable for production use. The big problems
now tend to be those that are resolved with more time investment in
development.

An /_elements/wrapper in Mason ought to work. I'm doing it on one of my
applications which was started prior to the TD views being added to Jifty
and I've never converted it.

Do you have a View class defined? If you do, that might be the source of
some of the trouble. Since the TD docs are spread across several classes, it
might not be clear (and there's no example in this particular case either),
but you should be able to call:

__PACKAGE__->use_mason_wrapper();

in your View class to switch it over to requesting /_elements/wrapper from
Mason. That's defined in Jifty::View::Declare::BaseClass.

Again, this is all based on using Jifty from a recent fetch from the
Subversion repository. I don't know how different the CPAN release is.

Cheers,
Andrew