[jifty-devel] Chart plugin: Handling scripts in regions

Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp sterling at hanenkamp.com
Sun Aug 5 22:52:24 EDT 2007

On 8/5/07, Thomas Sibley <trs at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> Yeah.  Gruff (one of Ruby's nicer image-based charting libs) uses
> ImageMagick, which seems to support drawing nice anti-aliased lines
> unlike GD.  There's an Image::Magick::Chart, but it's a bit old and only
> supports horizontal bars.

After you mentioned ruby graphing ealier I looked up Gruff. It looks like
every other Ruby thing. ;) It would appear that GD is also capable of
anti-aliasing, but because of the way part of GD::Graph (pie charts in
particular) are written Bad Stuff happens when you try to use anti-aliasing
and true color graphs---I just tinkered to see what would happen. Since
pie's are drawn lazily (i.e., draw the outlines and then fill them) rather
than properly drawing the slices and then adding the lines afterward, the
fill floods the whole image.

I might think about this one. It could be fun. It's been a few years since I
tinkered much with graphics on a lower level. Of course, as I'm typing this
I'm thinking I must be crazy. As if I have the time... ;)