[jifty-devel] FakeAdmin version check fails on freebsd(6)

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed May 10 14:54:37 EDT 2006

Jesse Vincent wrote:
> FWIW, we've gotten more than a couple reports of this. I'd been told
> that M::I 0.62 dealt better.  Oh. I wonder if the dependency on
> Module::Install::Admin interacts poorly with "M::I in inc, but no real
> installation of Module::Install".

I suspect it's actually the reverse.  Module::Install behaves badly when
you have one version of Module::Install installed (as an author) and a
different release located in ./inc/.

A quick test would be to make sure that Module::Install is up-to-date
and then nuke the ./inc directory (which, in my opinion, shouldn't be in
the repository at all) and let it recreate.  You can still package inc/
when you build a release, but it is probably a bad idea to have that in
the repository.  It isn't too much of a hassle for people trying to run
out of the repository to have M::I installed...

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group