[jifty-devel] jifty l10n and stuff

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 05:53:52 EST 2006

thanks - that's pretty interesting because l10n is a big part of my site
(which is looking for a framework) - I'm quite interested in participating
who are serious about putting together a really transparent system. I'm no
expert in the field, but I do have some ideas about how it should work to
throw in. engoi.com is pretty good test ground for something like that.(it
is currently in 8 languages, with about 12 more in the pipeline - there are
more than 20 volunteer translators involved. RTL languages are a problem at
the moment, as is timestamping of entries so that material which needs
revision can be easily found ... there is a lot to do ...)

I just went through the tutorial without too much pain - all well and good,
though there there is some stuff that's not that clear. I know that jifty is
still a fairly young creature, so there are bound to be some rough edges,
but I like the way you have tried to keep it lean and mean as possible. The
db schema generation looks good.

I wasn't too sure what the admin mode was about - it's basically a crud
interface on teh db? that makes some sense. How are sessions handled in
jifty at the moment?

I'll prolly get back with lots more q's later ...

cheers

Daniel

On 3/31/06, Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 02:22:09AM +0200, Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I just took the jifty quick test drive, and i must say I'm really
> impressed.
> > I've been looking at rails, catalyst, plone, you name it for weeks now,
> this
> > rates very highly (on first impressions). I'll be digging in deeper in
> the
> > next days.
>
> Fantastic. Thanks for the kind words.
>

> > Question : are there plans to add specific l10n features to jifty? I
> know
> > Audrey Tang is involved (thanks for one of the best articles on the
> subject
> > I've ever read, BTW ... "Web L10n in Perl" - wish I'd found that a year
> back
> > ;)
>
> Yes. Audrey has demoed her localization extensions to me. They look
> quite nice. Conveniently, she and I are at the same hackathon this
> weekend. With luck, you should see them landing in the Jifty core very,
> very soon.
>

> > cheers
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > --