[jifty-devel] question about binary encoding

Bart Bunting bart at bunting.net.au
Thu Mar 16 17:35:10 EST 2006

Hi once again,

I'm making progress with Jifty and I really like it so far.

I'm trying to understand what is happening to my binary data as I load it
and retrieve it from the database.

I've written a tiny app which allows you to upload images into the database
and then use the dispatcher to retrieve them by their id.

I now have the uploading working and the dispatcher is serving the file back
to me.

However, somewhere in the middle I'm guessing it's being escaped or encoded
in some way.  The file I get back is aprox twice the size of the one I
upload.

Can someone tell me what may be happening here?  Is it safe to upload binary
data straight into the database or do I need to base64 encode it before?

In my image_display component I'm simply outputting the image/jpg content
type header and then using the value returned from the record.  I load up
the record in the init block and use:

<% $record->image %> to display it.

I'm guessing that this is being escaped as it goes through mason or
something?

Any pointers or suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards

Bart