[jifty-devel] RFC: Design change in ClassLoader

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Thu Jun 22 14:51:45 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 09:47 -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> The short explanation is that there can be only one ClassLoader in @INC,
> otherwise the automatic class generation will try and build Actions for
> Models that the plugin does will not support, but that the other
> ClassLoader (provided by Jifty itself) _will_ support.  An error will be
> emitted for those cases, even though some other class has already been
> loaded to cover that case.

Hrm.  I'm afraid I don't really understand what you're saying well
enough to understand the problem -- I don't doubt that there is
something wrong, but I just don't understand well enough what it is.
Can you give a more specific example?

> 3) Change the structure of ClassLoader so that additional hooks can be
> dynamically added to the INC loop, so that as long as *any* class will
> handle a given require(), the entire loop will succeed (this is my
> preferred method).

Though I don't really understand the problem, this solution does feel
like a more flexible solution than the other two.

> For example, I have a WebApp::Model::Post class, and during the initial
> attempt to handle that, a Jifty::Plugin::Login::Model::Post class will
> attempt to autogenerate.
..why?  I don't understand this bit.  This may be the error. ;>
 - Alex