[jifty-devel] Re: [Jifty-commit] r1144 - in jifty/trunk: lib/Jifty/Action/Record

Sean E. Millichamp sean at enertronllc.com
Fri Jun 16 12:24:56 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 18:28 -0400, Alex Vandiver wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 13:48 -0400, jifty-commit at lists.jifty.org wrote:
> >  r327 at pc102:  sean | 2006-06-02 13:46:33 -0400
> >  * Skip nonexistant columns when creating records

>   What's the rationale for this?  In one of our applications, we want to
> be able to create rows in related tables during the ->create() of the
> object, which means passing in arguments that aren't columns.  What's to
> be won from stripping them out?

Okay, that makes sense.  I hadn't considered that as a use-case at the
time I made that change.

I noticed this when doing something with the password_confirm field (I
don't recall what exactly) and Jifty::Action::Record::Create.  I believe
it was a very basic form just using the default take_action with a
password field.

It encountered this check in Jifty::DBI::Record during create:
    foreach my $column_name ( keys %attribs ) {
        my $column = $self->column($column_name);
        unless ($column) {
            Carp::confess "$column_name isn't a column we know about";
        }

My thought was "well, if it is going to Carp::confess anyway, and we
know we could have at least one field that does not match with a column,
why not just skip the unknown fields".

Perhaps a better fix in Jifty::Action::Record::Create would be to just
check and see if the password_confirm field exists and, if so, skip just
that field.

Thoughts?

Sean

--
 Sean E. Millichamp, Enertron LLC, 586-757-1200 x102