[jifty-devel] Login plugin questions

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Dec 29 13:54:47 EST 2006

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 10:40:01AM -0500, jpeacock at rowman.com wrote:
> All -
>
> I think I've figured out the problems with the Login plugin and the Admin pages, and the good news is that the existing plugin framework is sound (but a little more subtle than I realized).  However I've run into a couple of issues that I wanted  get some guidance on:
>
> 1) I'm inclined to cause the Login plugin to require the user class to be named APPLICATION::Model::User, since it will greatly simplify the code.  If you wanted to have additional fields than the core, that will still be possible, and if you wanted to have an associated table instead, that should also be OK.

Would it be possible to make the login plugin's "User" class a mixin
that requires that the ::Model::$UserClass to implement certain fields?
I think that might help clean up a lot of the ickiness I run into trying
to use Login and other plugins at the same time.

Also, what about putting the name of the User class into the config
file, with a default of ::Model::User? Would that do what you need?

> 2) Jifty->web->form->submit doesn't seem to support continuations automatically (or I can't figure out the incantation), and Jifty->web->return handles continuations just fine, but it doesn't get the nice <div class="submit_button"> wrapper.  What is the best solution?  Should form->submit handle continuations?  Should return() get wrapped by default?

retrun() should get wrapped by default, I think.

> 3) In reference to continuations, I have fixed it so that clicking the login link will return the current page after logging in.  However, if the current page is the logout page, what happens is that you succeed in logging in and immediately logout.  Should I have the logout page redirect to the root of the site, so that you can logout and login immediately.  Just navigating to some other page always works...

IIRC, there's a way to force a different page as the target after the
login.   That might work better. But failing that, having the logout
rule redirect to the splash page ought to be fine.