[jifty-devel] prototype and script.aculo.us update

Nelson Elhage nelhage at bestpractical.com
Wed Dec 27 15:25:46 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 09:15:55PM +0100, Wolfgang Kinkeldei wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just played around a bit with the latest versions of the javascript
> libraries Prototype and Scriptaculous and wondered if there were a
> possibility to let them work inside Jifty.
>
> After testing prototype 1.5 and script.aculo.us 1.7beta, all
> "onclick" handlers did not work anymore... The reason is a function
> "Element.Methods.update" which is defined in prototype and is applied
> to all Objects. This function has precedence over Jifty's "update"
> function and always returns a true value. Thus, all onclick handlers
> behave like no JavaScript is available.

Having Jifty's update() method in the global namespace is probably Wrong,
anyways; It should probably be named Jifty.update() or similar. I
imagine making this change would fix the problem, and *shoudn't* breat
back-compat, since Jifty should be the only thing generating calls to
update(), anyways. Does this make sense to other people?

- Nelson