[jifty-devel] jifty and dbic..

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Aug 30 20:20:47 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 08:16:28PM -0400, Jason Yates wrote:
> Awhile back there was some talk about getting DBIx::Class working with
> Jifty.  So I wanted to check on the list and gauge if people still had
> any interest.
>
> I see no large feature set missing from DBIx::Class that should hinder
> this.  The only thing I can think of is Jifty::DBI::Schema.  Although
> I could be missing something.
>
> And, I personally wouldn't mind hacking away at this.  It'll give me
> an excuse to learn the innards of Jifty anyways.

Matt and I have been talking about this for a while. Declarative schema
and how we handle collections are the two really big things missing. But
there's also the way Jifty makes view information available at the model
layer.

I'd be thrilled to take a DBIC plugin into the Jifty repository. I'm not
(currently) promising that I'll make it our primary ORMm, but nothing is
entirely off the table.

> Also a question to ask, does adding DBIx::Class support break the idea
 of "one database mapper, one templating system, one web services
> layer, one AJAX toolkit, one set of handlers for standalone or FastCGI
> servers".

What matters to me is one sane default. I'm not willing to compromise
the system's full stack nature to support a second ORM or a second
Templating layer, but making it possible to undo the default would not
be a bad thing.

If you're ready to start hacking, send the list a first patch or two and
we'll go from there.