[jifty-devel] Some naming questions about fragments

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Dec 29 12:00:05 EST 2005

David Glasser wrote:
> For consistency with _elements, should we rename fragments to  _fragments?

No. As with "private" functions that are named starting with a leading
_, _elements is private. "fragments" is /explicitly/ intended to be
remotely callable.

> Is there a good reason that we're floating around all three terms
> "region", "page region", and "fragment"?  (Is it "region is a block  on
> the page, fragment is mason on disk" or something? Or are they
> basically the same?)

I think alex has answered this one.

> Also, for convenience, should the  app script make empty _elements and
> fragments directories?

Possibly, though we're finding that this may not be a case where one
layout fits every app.

> (And if every region must come from a fragments path, can't we just
> make that implicit in the path arg to Jifty->web->region? Or would  that
> break because sometimes we're loading from the share/__jifty  fragments
> dir?)

It's not the case that every region must come from a fragments
directory, but yeah, alex and I have been talking about something like
that. I haven't seen a concrete proposal for something that would feel
clean and happy.